It’s no secret that baking is one of my favorite fall activities. I love to bake goodies for people. We celebrated my best friend’s birthday this past weekend, and she absolutely loves my pumpkin spice cookies. So of course I had to make a fresh batch! These pumpkin spice cookies are one of my absolute favorite cookies to bake. They bake up soft (the only way to go if you ask me), and have a perfect balance of sweet between the cookie and icing.
These cookies always seem extra special to me as I only make them in the fall. I suppose I could make them any time, but they are just such a perfect fall cookie (especially since pumpkin spice is all the rage!). Whip up a batch with the recipe below!
2 1/2 cups flour (I split mine half white flour, half whole wheat flour)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar (I cut mine down to 1 1/4 cup – it makes a difference with how sweet the icing is!)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Beat in egg and vanilla until creamy, then beat in the pumpkin until smooth.
- Add in dry ingredients, and mix thoroughly together.
- Drop tablespoonfuls onto lined cookie sheets (foil or parchment paper). Bake for 15 – 20 min (I find 16 minutes perfect!).
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Make sure they cool completely before icing them.
2 cups confectioner sugar
3 tbsp milk
1 tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl until a semi-thick icing is formed. Add more milk to thin if necessary.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, just smear some on with a knife. The icing will harden some on the outside after a bit, but it never gets crunchy-hard – it’s one of my favorite icings for that reason. The perfect texture!
If you’re not an icing fan, these cookies are just as yummy without icing. I love them plain with a cup of tea. If you are making a plain batch, I highly recommend using the full 1 1/2 cups of sugar so they don’t taste too bland or get a bit overpowered by the spices. Enjoy!
6 thoughts on “Iced Pumpkin Spice Cookies”
Yum these look so good, I really have to try these out before fall is over!
Damn. Lemme just clean up all the drool on my keyboard…
😀 They’re quite easy to make – I highly recommend it!
My mouth is watering pretty fiercely right now.
Yummm, pumpkin cookies are my favoritest things in the world!